Friday, June 8, 2012

Review: Hollyweird by Terri Clark

Hollyweird by Terri Clark
 Published: May 8, 2012
Publisher: Flux Books
Available: Amazon

Synopsis:

Aly King is about to fall for the fallen

My best friend, Des, and I totally freaked when we won the contest to meet THE Dakota Danvers in Hollywood. But now we’re finding out he’s SO not the angel everyone believes him to be. In fact, Dakota is the son of Satan, wreaking havoc on Hollywood and creating an evil army hellbent on world domination.

Lucky for us, Dakota’s super-cute personal assistant, Jameson, is a fallen angel trying to get his wings back, and he’s working undercover to squash his demon boss’s plan. If Jameson hadn’t taken me under his wing I’d be in serious trouble, because I’m a total newb when it comes to conquering evil. But, truth be told, that sexy angel’s got me all aflutter and may be one temptation I can’t resist.

Review:

When I started reading Hollweird I was a bit put off by the overwhelming amount of pop culture references and the odd 'dialect' Aly and her friend Des have going on, but the story quickly grew on me. 

The book is fast paced and a very quick read. The dialogue between Des and Aly is funny and feels like a real friendship. They may be opposites, but they understand each other so well, it makes sense that they are friends, almost like Shawn and Gus on Psych :) (See, I can do pop culture references, too!) And after a few of their weird words, I realized the cuteness of them and have been tempted into using a couple. 

Although Aly is the main character, we also get to see from Jameson's perspective and I liked how this slowed the story down a bit and gave me time to catch up. Both of them are likeable and I really appreciated that Clark didn't try to add in those overused scenarios of love triangles or mistaken intentions. Clark sticks to the plot and gradually builds the relationship between Aly and Jameson in a way that, strangely enough, didn't make me doubt the likelihood of it after only a few days together.

 I don't know if this is categorized as Christian fiction, although there are of course references to God and discussions of believing, but then again, it's hard to write an angel book without doing that! I don't think there is anything about the references that would make non-Christians uncomfortable, especially those who are reading angel books, because honestly, if you're offended by God, then what are you doing reading a book about angels?!

No comments:

Post a Comment